Tuesday, February 15, 2011

L.A. Detour..

I took a trip to Los Angeles over the weekend to check out museums and galleries. The picture above finds me immersed in the blue neon glow of Carlos Cruz-Diez's Cromosatruación, from 1965.

This piece and others were part of the exhibit, "Suprasensorial: Experiments in Light, Color and Space" at the Geffen Contemporary wing of the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles. I saw the amazing Murakami show at this space in 2007, as well.

The most striking message I took from this show was Lucio Fontana's quote from his Spatial Manifesto of 1946:

"We carry forward the evolution of Art through the medium."

I am a firm believer in this notion. Too bad that much of the Art world seems a little behind due to their their timid support and promotion of artists working in digital media, etc.

I also saw, for the second time, Blum and Poe's magnificent space on La Cienega Blvd in Culver City. I was surprised to see that Peres Projects had closed shop in the space that was nearby. Things come and go....

No comments:

Post a Comment