Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Options and Constraints....

As this is my second full Englyph-based series (the first being Fifty Gifts), I choose to learn by doing (something I do best). I chose to reduce my color palette to the three primary colors in order to work within a set of constraints (a practice I also enjoy).

This project will consist of images made with the colors red, yellow, blue and black and white. Each Englyph "word" can have numerous colors within it, and the background of the image will be a flat color chosen from the aforementioned array of colors.

There are other image-building considerations, as well. I have chosen to work with Latin alphabet-based glyphs made  using the glyph-building rules of Englyph in three shapes: circles, squares and rounded squares. In addition, the glyphs can be drawn as solely outlines, solely filled shapes or a combination of those.

This leaves us with numerous possible combinations of shape, color, and style. I'll list them all, again:

Colors:

  • Red
  • Blue
  • Yellow
  • White
  • Black


Picture Elements:

  • Englyph Words
  • Backgrounds


Shapes:

  • Circle
  • Square
  • Rounded Square


Style:

  • Outline
  • Filled
  • Filled & Outline
I've been looking at my options, in terms of which images I will make, given the permutations that are possible with these options.

    1 comment:

    1. Thanks for posting this, I'm looking forward to seeing how this project progresses and seeing the intersections of linguistics and symbology (and typography).

      ReplyDelete